Sunday, August 28, 2016

Departure to the USA

8/25/2016 - Departure to the USA

Reflections on Iceland...

This is the land of IKEA - where the instructions for working the hotel showers and airport bathroom sinks were as challenging as the directions for assembling their products.

This is the land of incredibly resilient people; impending volcanic threats; and water in many forms - geothermals, waterfalls, blow holes, glacial rivers and ice caps.

This is an expensive country because it is an island that heavily relies on imports, but it is one where many tourists camp; buy groceries instead of eating out; and rent vehicles to explore the island (they drive on the same side of the road as we do in the USA). 

This is the land of fish!  I think I ate more fish on this trip than I have in my entire life - and it was absolutely amazing! 

This is the land of National Geographic photographic gems! I've never seen such biodiversity in my life!


And this is the fantastic group I traveled with.
Our intrepid leader, Hlif Ingibjornsdottir, is on the left in the purple sweater.
(photo courtesy of Hlif Ingibjornsdottir)





1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm sold! Iceland goes on my to-do list.
    Although I'll try to skip the broken ankle if I can.

    ReplyDelete