Friday, August 12, 2016

Untamed Iceland

8/12/2016

Iceland - the Land of Fire and Ice
August 11-25, 2016

Lava flows, glaciers, geothermal springs, hiking, whale watching, whitewater rafting, stunning waterfalls, incredible scenery, beautiful and diverse flora and fauna - get those cameras ready for some breathtaking photography!

Well this was definitely the flight(s) from hell...
good old Delta had a complete meltdown Monday which continued to affect its entire fleet into Thursday - my day of departure.  Tampa flight departure time delayed 1 hour before boarding, 1 hour before leaving the airport & a third hour waiting on the JFK tarmac for a gate.  My cushion of 2 hr. 45 minutes between flights had 20 minutes left as I raced through Terminal B to the Jitney for a 4-minute ride to Terminal 4. I made it with 5 minutes to spare before the door closed for my second flight.  When I limped up to the gate I was pooped & had serious dry mouth.  First there was another 1 hour delay for this leg, then another & another - with at least 1 more hour awaiting our turn for departure on the tarmac.  Instead of arriving in Reykjavik at 7 AM, we taxied in at 11:30 AM.  Needless to say, my 7 co-travelers were long gone for the ferry to the Westman Islands.

But the madness continued - my luggage was lost! First time in 40+ years of travel.  There was a pathetic attempt by the Delta staff to help out after I badgered them for over 30 minutes (I hope my luggage is having a better time than I am).  I am hoping to see my clean clothes & toiletries tomorrow afternoon if I suddenly get lucky).

Eventually Sven & I connected in the departure area & he took me to the little Eagle Air local airport so I could fly on a 21-seat puddle jumper to the Westman Islands to connect with my group, who were already at the hotel. I tried the Nautholl Bistro for a delicious lunch as per Sven's suggestion & my day began to improve after a long overdue glass of Chilean wine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment